Tuesday, October 26, 2010


We're still here, I assure you. We haven't been eaten by bears, or wolves, or Joe Miller. Quite a strange and transitional time recently, it seems like for everyone here.

The run-up to Halloween kind of makes people anxious, I gather. Seems like folks approach it as the last real 'moment' before things get really hairy and life changes for the frigid and everyone heads inside.

But there's snow here already, and it's nighttime until ten in the morning (which is nice, since it lets me feel pretty ambitious no matter what time I get things rolling in the a.m.). So, again, we're building some kind of artificial boundary between the sun and the ice, when we all know it's a pretty explicitly gradual move.

4 comments:

  1. That is NOT Nate sitting on top of the wood block.

    And yes, that is me. I tell you this sawing (which was done in about a minute or so) was one of the hardest workouts of my life. I was winded. And I'm pretty sure that means I was not "using the saw" as people kept screaming at me to do more of. In fact, a few more inches down from this moment, I "hit a wall," to use a term that runners refer to when they are running a marathon, and had to draw the inner strength I didn't know existed which was really in probability "the saw" in order to complete the task. Serious forest sport, here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Sarah. I'm so proud of you. You make a great wilderness woman - why I can just see you back a few years panning for gold. I and my friends are all living vicariously thru you guys now and so far you haven't let us down. You're the toast of our hotel coffee frequently so keep up the good work and enjoy this adventure together! Love you both dearly, Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, Sarah's kidding. That's obviously me, timing and evaluating proper saw cutting technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny because we all know Joe Miller only eats Asian babies.

    ReplyDelete