Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Some of that slammin' wine we drank up, this bottle courtesy of the Sedgehammer. On Sarah's July b-day.

During our Napa honeymoon week, we had so much vino that it took me at least two weeks afterward to break the habit of swirling everything (water, soda, coffee, milk) around in its glass to aerate it. It was a delicious and incredible experience. I'll have pictures and words to share about this for the rest of my life.

In particular though, that week provided roughly ten more chapters in the big book about why we have the single best collection of friends in the entire world. I'm not sure there's a word for the kind of time we had in California, and so much of the unique experience is thanks to the people we had around us. 'Joy' is good, but it's a little too vague. 'Indulgence' is a favorite of mine, but it implies a kind of submission and gluttony that, while most definitely present during the week, were not the focus. 'Ecstasy' sounds too dirty. 'Celebration' is getting close, for no other reason than it binds the experience tightly to so many other great events shared with these folks and others from the past.

To put it another way, there's a Napa poem in me somewhere that I'll work on for years and never get quite right.

2 comments:

  1. So I've been meaning to comment here since you started, and this post on the awesomeness of friends seems like a great place to jump in.

    Your absence from Mass is acutely felt. And while we've all been missing your presence here, none so much as my iTunes Library. I mean, its growth rate is in serious jeopardy without you. But, much like your grand adventure into the wilderness, I need to transcend my completely comparable difficulty discovering new music on my own. To that end, I've recently formed an attachment to the amazing Numero Group, who spun at Solid Sound. As a way of striking out on my own into the musical frontier, I humbly offer this, as a way of proving myself:

    http://tinyurl.com/22waoos

    Enjoy. And I miss you guys like hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LB. The missing is a million percent mutual.

    And also: Good lord, as you rightly predict, this Numero Group stuff is _squarely_ in my groove zone. So nice.

    I'll resist the urge to drop my own new recs for now, except to forward along the unbelievable vid Coach sent me this week, which I'm sure will sound quite familiar to you lucky Solid Sounders, damn you. It made me cry to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAfMh_uLxvU

    ReplyDelete